Auto AXS (autoaxs.co.uk) provides an online service owned and operated by Auto AXS Ltd (“Auto AXS”, “we” or “us”). Please take the time to review this privacy statement which explains the information that Auto AXS collects about you, how we use it, and your rights in relation to that information.
- Auto AXS collects information when you use our website or app. We mostly use this information to provide the service you’ve asked for, but also to operate and improve our business.
- If you buy a car from us, we share your information with third parties who help us complete the transaction (e.g. financiers and insurers). They also help us run credit checks, if needed, and confirm you have a valid driving licence.
- We’d like to use your contact details to send you marketing but will respect your choice whether you opt-in or out.
We encourage you to read our full privacy statement, below, for more information
Auto AXS Ltd of 71-75 Shelton Street, London, WC2H 9JQ, United Kingdom is the data controller of the personal information collected via or in connection with our website (auto.co.uk) and our app (which are together referred to as the “site”).
What personal information do we collect about you?
We collect personal information from you when you provide it to us directly and through your use of the site. This information may include:
- Information you provide to us when buying a car with us, including your name and email address; Information you provide when using the site, for example your telephone number and searches;
- Information you provide in addition when completing a transaction on the site, for example details of your driving licence;
- Information about your credit score and any previous driving convictions, if you decide to purchase a car from us;
- Any correspondence you have with financiers, insurance or warranty providers (“Third Party Providers”) via the site;
- Records of your interactions with Auto AXS (e.g. if you contact our support team). We maintain a record of telephone calls to Auto AXS customer services for quality control and training purposes;
- Information you provide to us when you enter a competition or participate in a survey; and
We may also receive confirmation from one of our Third-Party Providers if you buy a product from them, for our accounting purposes and to manage the dealer’s account with us.
This privacy statement is primarily aimed at users of the site. However, if you are applying for a job with Auto AXS, we will collect and use the information you provide to us in the course of your application to assess your suitability for the position you have applied for and for other roles in the future, and to monitor diversity and equal opportunities in our recruitment process. Please note that as part of the application process, we may also collect information about you from third parties, for example recruiters, referees, or from publicly available sources (e.g. LinkedIn). Please contact us at email@example.com for more information about careers at Auto AXS.
What do we use this personal information for?
Depending on how you use the site, your interactions with us, and the permissions you give us, the purposes for which we use your personal information include:
- To fulfil requests submitted via the site;
- To complete a transaction with you, if you decide to buy a car from us;
- To allow our Third-Party Providers to conduct credit checks, and to confirm you have a valid driving licence (see further detail below);
- Where you contact a Third-Party Provider via our site, Auto AXS (or its service provider) may telephone you to confirm whether you bought a car from that Third-Party Provider;
- To manage and respond to any queries or complaints to our customer service team;
- To conduct analytics, in order to better understand our users and the car market;
- To personalise the site for you and show you content we think you will be most interested in, based on your history on the site;
- To fulfil our obligations to the Third-Party Providers we work with;
- To improve and maintain the site, and monitor usage;
- For market research, e.g. we may contact you for feedback about your experience on our site;
- To send you marketing messages and show you targeted advertising, where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so;
- For security purposes, to investigate fraud and where necessary to protect ourselves and third parties; and
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Credit checks and driving licence verification
If you are obtaining financing from a Third-Party Provider via our site, the information you provide may be used to run a credit check. The results of this check may affect whether or not you can complete the transaction on the site.
In order to buy a car from us, you must confirm that you hold a valid driving licence. Before completing the transaction, we will use a third party to confirm that your driving licence is valid. As part of this check, we will receive information about any driving convictions you have.
Our basis for processing under UK data protection law
We are required to have a lawful basis under UK data protection law to process your personal information. Other than in exceptional circumstances, our lawful basis for processing is:
Contract: To perform a contract with you (if you’re buying a car from us) or take steps at your request before you enter into a contract with us (in other words, before you make the purchase).
Consent: We rely on your consent to process your personal information when you transact with us, or otherwise voluntarily provide us with information. We may also ask your consent to send you marketing, and to set non-essential cookies on your device. We will seek your explicit consent to process information about any driving convictions.
You can withdraw your consent at any time, for example by opting out of receiving marketing communications or deleting your cookies.
Legitimate interests: We will also process your personal information where it is in Auto AXS or a third party’s legitimate interests to do so, in order to maintain our site and conduct our business. For example:
- We conduct an analysis on our user base and the searches made via our site;
- We may contact you after you have used our site to ask if you have transacted with a Third-Party
- Provider (so that we can collect commission from the relevant person, and for our own internal research purposes);
- We may send you marketing communications where permitted to do so without your specific consent. However, you can still opt-out at any time, and we’ll stop; and
- To investigate any complaints and take steps to protect ourselves from any legal claims.
Marketing & Advertising
We love to communicate with our users and so, depending on your marketing preferences, we will use your personal information to send you marketing material, including by email, SMS or post. Some of these messages will be tailored to you, based on your previous use of our site.
If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from us (or would like to opt back in), you can change your preferences at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email.
If you unsubscribe from marketing, please note that where necessary we will still contact you with service messages from time to time.
You may also see adverts for our site on third party websites, including on social media. These ads may be tailored to you using cookies (which track your web activity, so enable us to serve ads to users who have visited our site) and/or similar technologies. Where you see an ad on third party websites or social media, this may be because we have engaged the third party or social network to show ads to our users, or others who match the demographic profile of our users. In some cases, this may involve sharing your email address with the third party or social network so that they can identify you as one of our users. If you no longer want to see tailored ads you can change your cookie and privacy settings on your browser and these third-party websites.
Who do we share this personal information with?
We share users’ personal information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- With Third-Party Providers, to pass on your interest or specific query. These Third-Party Providers will use your personal information in accordance with their own privacy policies.
- With other suppliers providing services to us, and our professional and legal advisors;
- With third parties engaged in fraud prevention and detection;
- With advertisers, such as social media sites, as explained in ‘Marketing & Advertising’;
- With law enforcement or other governmental authorities, in response to a lawful request or court order;
- Otherwise where we have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted to do so.
We also disclose aggregate data, which does not identify any user personally, including to third parties working in media, consumer research and the car industry (for example, as analysis of popular cars in a given year).
Where is your personal information stored?
Our site is hosted by Go Daddy which has servers based around the world, and we may use other international service providers. Consequently, your personal information will be processed in countries outside of the UK, including in countries where you have fewer legal rights in respect of your data than you do under local law. Where we transfer personal information outside the UK we will, as required by applicable law, ensure that your privacy rights are adequately protected by appropriate safeguards, including by using the EU Standard Contractual Clauses. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like more information about these safeguards.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We keep a record of transactions on our site for up to seven years, to protect us from legal claims.
Please note, however, that if you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, we will keep a record of your email address to ensure we do not send you marketing emails in future.
Users under 18
Our site is not intended for, and should not be used by, anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under 18.
Links to third party sites
You have certain rights in respect of your personal information, including the right to access, correct, and request the erasure of your personal information.
You also have the right to object to your personal information being used for certain purposes, including to send you marketing communications. See ‘Marketing & Advertising’ above, for more details of how to opt-out of marketing.
We will comply with any requests to exercise your rights in accordance with applicable law. Please be aware, however, that there are a number of limitations to these rights, and there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request. To make any requests regarding your personal information, or if you have any questions or concerns regarding your personal information, please contact us using the details below. You are also entitled to contact the UK’s supervisory authority for data protection, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Auto AXS Ltd
71-75 Shelton Street London
Last updated 19th January 2021
If you need help at any stage, you can call us on 020 3995 5691 from 8am-8pm, Monday to Saturday.